Microsoft System Center Management Pack for SQL Server 2014 enables the discovery and monitoring of SQL Server 2014 Database Engines, Databases, SQL Server Agents and other related components. This Management Pack is designed to run by Operations Manager 2007 R2 (except dashboards), Operations Manager 2012 or Operations Manager 2012 R2.
The monitoring provided by this management pack includes performance, availability, and configuration monitoring, as well as performance and events data collection. All monitoring workflows have predefined thresholds and complimentary knowledge base articles. You can integrate the monitoring of SQL Server 2014 components into your service-oriented monitoring scenarios.
In addition to health monitoring capabilities, this management pack includes dashboards, diagram views, state views, performance views, alert views and diagnostic tasks that enable near real-time diagnostics and remediation of detected issues.
Note: This management pack does not depend on Microsoft SQL Server Library management pack. You do not need to import it to enable the monitoring of SQL Server 2014.
Note: This management pack is only for SQL Server 2014. Please use this link to download Microsoft Operations Manager Management Pack for SQL Server 2005/2008/2012.
The following list gives an overview of the features introduced by Microsoft System Center Operations Manager Management Pack for SQL Server 2014. Please refer to Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Management Pack Guide for more details.
- Discovery and monitoring of SQL Server 2014 roles like DB Engine, Integrations Services.
- Discovery of SQL Server 2014 components: Databases, SQL Agent and SQL jobs.
- The management pack introduces 100+ monitors and 380+ rules to provide a deep monitoring of SQL Server 2014. Please refer to Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Management Pack Guide for the complete list of monitoring scenarios and workflow inventory.
- Monitoring of SQL Server 2014 AlwaysOn:
- Automatic discovery and monitoring of availability groups, availability replicas, and availability databases.
- Health roll-up from availability database to availability replicas.
- Detailed knowledge for each related monitoring workflow.
- Seamless integration with SQL Server 2014 policy based management (PBM):
- Automatic discovery and monitoring of custom PBM polices targeted to Database or Database components.
- Rollup of policy execution health to the health of related SCOM entity.
- Monitoring of SQL Server In-Memory OLTP.
- Reports for long-term analysis of different problematic areas related to SQL Server 2014, such as SQL Server lock analysis, top deadlocked databases, SQL Server service pack levels, user connection activity. In addition, generic reports from the Microsoft Generic Report Library can be used to review availability and performance of objects discovered by Microsoft System Center Operations Manager Management Pack for SQL Server 2014.
- Low-privilege monitoring is supported for both stand-alone installations and clustered environments, except PBM.
- Support for Mirroring Monitoring
- Discover mirroring databases, witness, and mirroring group.
- Monitor database mirror state, database mirror witness state, and mirroring partners’ state.
- Custom diagram view to represent the primary and the mirrored databases visually.
New features and fixes:
- Fixed performance
- Added a support for disabled TCP/IP protocol
- Fixed performance metrics error that may occur on some localized versions of Windows
- Fixed incorrect performance of Transaction log free space monitor
- Added new type of events from failed discoveries; added a new rule that collects such events
- Added overrides to prevent various scripts timeout failure
- Removed some 1X1 tiles from Summary Dashboards
- Filestream filegroups are excluded from discovery for now
- 2008/2012 Summary Dashboards tiles were reorganized
- Added KB for Microsoft.SQLServer.2014.Mirroring.MirroringCommonGroupDiscovery
- Summary Dashboard: added monitor/performance tiles to class “SQL Server 2014 Mirroring Groups”
- Some minor fixes