The System Center Management Pack for SQL Server 2014 enables the discovery and monitoring of SQL Server 2014 Database Engines, Databases, SQL Server Agents and other related components. This Management Pack is designed to run by Operations Manager 2007 R2 (except dashboards), Operations Manager 2012 or Operations Manager 2012 R2.
The monitoring provided by this management pack includes performance, availability, and configuration monitoring, as well as performance and events data collection. All monitoring workflows have predefined thresholds and complimentary knowledge base articles. You can integrate the monitoring of SQL Server 2014 components into your service-oriented monitoring scenarios.
In addition to health monitoring capabilities, this management pack includes dashboards, diagram views, state views, performance views, alert views and diagnostic tasks that enable near real-time diagnostics and remediation of detected issues.
Note: This management pack does not depend on SQL Server Library management pack. You do not need to import it to enable the monitoring of SQL Server 2014.
Note: This management pack is only for SQL Server 2014. Please use this link to download the Operations Manager Management Pack for SQL Server 2005/2008/2012.
The following list gives an overview of features introduced by System Center Operations Manager Management Pack for SQL Server 2014. Please refer to the SQL Server 2014 Management Pack Guide for more details.
- Discovery and monitoring of SQL Server 2014 roles like DB Engine, Integrations Services.
- Discovery of SQL Server 2014 components: Databases, SQL Agent and SQL jobs.
- The management pack introduces 100+ monitors and 380+ rules to provide a deep monitoring of SQL Server 2014. Please refer to the SQL Server 2014 Management Pack Guide for the full list of monitoring scenarios and workflow inventory.
- Monitoring of SQL Server 2014 AlwaysOn:
- Automatic discovery and monitoring of availability groups, availability replicas, and availability databases.
- Health roll-up from availability database to availability replicas.
- Detailed knowledge for each related monitoring workflow.
- Seamless integration with SQL Server 2014 policy based management (PBM):
- Automatic discovery and monitoring of custom PBM polices targeted to Database or Database components.
- Rollup of policy execution health to the health of related SCOM entity.
- Monitoring of SQL Server In-Memory OLTP.
- Reports for long-term analysis of different problematic areas related to SQL Server 2014, such as SQL Server lock analysis, top deadlocked databases, SQL Server service pack levels, user connection activity. Also, generic reports from the Microsoft Generic Report Library can be used to review availability and performance of objects discovered by System Center Operations Manager Management Pack for SQL Server 2014.
- Low-privilege monitoring is supported for both stand-alone installations and clustered environments, except PBM.
- Support of In-Memory OLTP Discovery and Monitoring
- Generic Presentation Management Pack has been introduced. This management pack defines version-independent group-based views and dashboard.
- Summary dashboard for SQL Server 2014 Instances with drill-down to SQL 2014 Database dashboard.
- Summary dashboard for SQL Server 2014 Databases.
- Space monitoring now supports databases hosted on Cluster Shared Volumes, SMB Shares and Azure BLOBs. Both drive letters and mount points are supported.
- Monitoring of SQL Server 2014 Managed Backup.
- New profile dedicated for tasks only: Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Task Run As Profile.
- Dependency on SQL Server Library management pack has been eliminated.
- Support of Localized performance counter for CPU and Logical Disk Metrics.
- SQL Server Integration Services monitoring seed discovery.
- SQL Server Integration Services moved to separate management pack.
- SQL Server non-default port is now supported.
- Optimized performance collection replaced with raw performance collection to guarantee accuracy of hourly and daily aggregated data.
- AlwaysOn: Endpoint URL points to a non-computer name.
- AlwaysOn: read intent is not supported, false alert message removed.
- Monitoring of SQL Server Reporting Services has been deprecated. This component will be monitored by dedicated management pack.
- Monitoring of SQL Server Analysis Services has been deprecated. This component will be monitored by dedicated management pack.
- Monitoring of SQL Server Replication has been deprecated. This component will be monitored by dedicated management pack.