Windows Azure Pack for Windows Server is a collection of Windows Azure technologies, available to Microsoft customers at no additional cost for installation into your data center. It runs on top of Windows Server 2012 R2 and System Center 2012 R2 and, through the use of the Windows Azure technologies, enables you to offer a rich, self-service, multi-tenant cloud, consistent with the public Windows Azure experience.
Windows Azure Pack includes the following capabilities:
- Management portal for tenants – a customizable self-service portal for provisioning, monitoring, and managing services such as Web Sites, Virtual Machines, and Service Bus.
- Management portal for administrators – a portal for administrators to configure and manage resource clouds, user accounts, and tenant offers, quotas, and pricing.
- Service management API – a RESTful API that helps enable a range of integration scenarios including custom portal and billing systems.
- Web Sites – a service that helps provide a high-density, scalable shared web hosting platform for ASP.NET, PHP, and Node.js web applications. The Web Sites service includes a customizable web application gallery of open source web applications and integration with source control systems for custom-developed web sites and applications.
- Virtual Machines – a service that provides infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) capabilities for Windows and Linux virtual machines. The Virtual Machines service includes a VM template gallery, scaling options, and virtual networking capabilities.
- Service Bus – a service that provides reliable messaging services between distributed applications. The Service Bus service includes queued and topic-based publish/subscribe capabilities.
- Automation and Extensibility – the capability to automate and integrate additional custom services into the services framework, including a runbook editor and execution environment.
The following content introduces you to Windows Azure Pack and provides deployment and configuration information:
- The Windows Azure Pack architecture
- Windows Azure Pack installation requirements
- Install an express deployment of Windows Azure Pack
- Install a distributed deployment of Windows Azure Pack
- Configure Active Directory Federation Services for Windows Azure Pack
- Install and configure the Web Site clouds controller
- Configure Automation in Windows Azure Pack
- Configure and provision services
- Post-installation best practices
- Create a plan for end users
Note that this deployment guide does not provide information for deploying System Center 2012 R2 Virtual Machine Manager, Service Provider Foundation, or the Service Bus service. For information on deploying these products and services, see the following documentation:
- Deploying System Center 2012 – Virtual Machine Manager
- How to Install Service Provider Foundation 2012 R2
- Getting Started with the Service Bus for Windows Server
NOTE : For Windows Azure Pack, install the Service Bus 1.1 Preview version, instead of the Service Bus 1.0 version as instructed in the topic
Windows Azure Pack scripts and PowerShell cmdlets :
Install Windows Azure PowerShell updates for Windows Azure Pack – Download and install Windows Azure PowerShell, including updates and support for the Windows Azure Pack. You can also access the Windows Azure PowerShell project on GitHub.