Hybrid Configuration Features
The Manage Hybrid Configuration wizard automatically enables all hybrid deployment features by default. If you want to enable or disable specific hybrid configuration features, you can run the Manage Hybrid Configuration wizard again, or use the Exchange Management Console and the Exchange Management Shell to update hybrid deployment parameters. The following hybrid deployment features are enabled by default by the wizard:
- Free/busy sharing The free/busy sharing feature enables calendar information to be shared between on-premises and cloud-based organization users. Free/busy sharing is enabled as part of the federated delegation and organization relationship configuration for the on-premises and cloud-based Exchange organizations. Learn more at Understanding Federated Delegation.
- Mailbox moves The mailbox move feature enables on-premises mailboxes to be moved to the cloud organization while preserving user’s Microsoft Office Outlook profiles and offline .ost folders. Mailbox move also enables moving cloud mailboxes to the on-premises organization.
- Message tracking The message tracking feature records the SMTP transport activity of all messages transferred to and from the hybrid Hub Transport servers between the on-premises and cloud-based organizations. You can use message tracking logs for message forensics, mail flow analysis, reporting, and troubleshooting. Learn more at Understanding Message Tracking.
- MailTips MailTips are informative messages displayed to users while they’re composing a message. By enabling MailTips in the hybrid deployment, on-premises and cloud-based senders can adjust messages they’re composing to avoid undesirable situations or non-delivery reports (NDRs) between the organizations. Learn more at Understanding MailTips.
- Online archiving Online archiving enables the cloud-based organization to host user e-mail archives for both on-premises and cloud-based users. Learn more at Configure Exchange Online Archiving.
- Outlook Web App redirection Outlook Web App redirection provides a single, common URL to access both on-premises and cloud-based Exchange mailboxes. The hybrid server automatically redirects Outlook Web App requests to the on-premises mailbox server or provides a link to users for their mailbox in the cloud-based organization. Learn more at:
- For Exchange 2003 hybrid deployments: Understanding Access to Outook Web App with a Single URL
- For Exchange 2007 hybrid deployments: Understanding Access to Outlook Web App with a Single URL for an Exchange 2007 Hybrid Deployment
- For Exchange 2010 hybrid deployments: Understanding Access to Outlook Web App with a Single URL for an Exchange 2010 Hybrid Deployment
- Secure mail Secure mail enables secure message delivery between the on-premises and cloud organization via Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol. The on-premises and cloud organizations are mutually authenticated through digital certificate subjects and e-mail headers and rich-text message formatting are preserved across the organizations.