March 30, 2013
You can download the Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Upgrade Assessment tool here
The Upgrade Assessment Tool provides the following functionality:
- Retrieves device driver compatibility information for installed peripheral devices and creates reports that you can use to determine which device drivers need to be upgraded to support the Windows operating system.
- Allows you to see which computers meet the recommended system requirements for Windows operating systems and to customize these requirements for your environments.
- Creates summary reports that you can use to see an enterprise wide view of operating system upgrade readiness.
- Allows you to create dynamic collections for an operating system deployment. The collection query rules can be based on system requirements, application compatibility status, and device driver status.
Supported operating systems: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 Datacenter, Windows Server 2008 Enterprise, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter, Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise, Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2008 Standard, Windows Server 2012
- Other Requirements:
You must install the following software before you install the System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Upgrade Assessment Tool.
- Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager:
- The site server must be running Configuration Manager SP1 with Cumulative Update 1.
- Configuration Manager clients can run Configuration Manager with no service pack, Configuration Manager SP1, or Configuration Manager SP1 with Cumulative Update 1.
- You must have a reporting services point to view the compatibility information from clients.
- You must have one or more distribution points to deploy the ACT inventory collection package to clients.
- Clients must run hardware inventory.
- Application Compatibility Toolkit (ACT) 6.0. To download and install the toolkit, see Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) for Windows® 8. The Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) is a collection of tools that you can use to customize, assess, and deploy Windows operating systems to new computers. For more information about the Application Compatibility Toolkit, see Application Compatibility Toolkit Technical Reference.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4. To download and install the .NET Framework 4, use one of the following resources:
For planning guidance and installation instructions for the System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Upgrade Assessment Tool please see the Upgrade Assessment Tool Technet Documentation.
The Upgrade Assessment Tool depends on both System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Service Pack 1 and the Application Compatibility Toolkit 6.0. The beginning of the Upgrade Assessement Tool support lifecycle will be the same as System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Service Pack 1. It will be supported on the System Center 2012 lifecycle.
February 8, 2013
The Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Package Conversion Manager allows for converting packages and programs into applications and deployment types in System Center Configuration Manager 2012. There is a migration feature which is released with the Configuration Manager 2012 that allows packages to be migrated from 2007 to 2012. Once you have migrated your package objects and installed PCM it is just a matter of analyzing your packages to determine their readiness state and then converting the packages with the appropriate readiness state to applications. This release comes in 6 languages and will work with both System Center Configuration Manager 2012 and System Center Configuration Manager 2012 SP1.
- Analyzes Packages
- Automatic Conversion
- PCM Plug-In
- Fix and Convert Wizard
- Package Conversion Dashboard
- Online Help
- Bulk Analyzer
Download System Center 2012 SP1 Configuration Manager Package Conversion Manager 2.0 here
December 18, 2012
The Windows Phone 8 Company Portal App enables Windows Phone 8 devices which are managed by Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1 and Windows Intune to be able to view and install line of business applications targeted to the Windows Phone 8 devices by their administrators.
The Windows Phone 8 Company Portal App is downloaded by the administrator and made available to the management system infrastructure to enable device enrollment for Windows Phone 8 devices. The Company Portal App is needed to manage Windows Phone 8 devices. After downloading the Windows Phone 8 Company Portal App, the administrator must code-sign the app.
Download the Windows Phone 8 Company Portal App here
July 8, 2012
Table of Contents on Technet WiKi:
- Engineering Team Blogs, Forums, Library, Gallery, Wiki, and Survival Guides
- Microsoft Employee Twitter Handles
- MVP Twitter Handles
- System Center Cloud and Data Center Management MVPs
- Other MVPs
- System Center Hashtags
- MVP Blogs
- Microsoft Employee Blogs
- Other Community Blogs
- System Center User Groups
- Online Communities
- Related Videos System Center “How Do I?” Videos
Go to the System Center Community WiKi Site
April 20, 2012
The following System Center 2012 – Configuration Manager add-ons and extensions are available for download:
Package Conversion Manager (PCM) The Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Package Conversion Manager allows for converting packages and programs into applications and deployment types in System Center Configuration Manager 2012. There is a migration feature which will be released with the Configuration Manager 2012 that allows packages to be migrated from 2007 to 2012. Once you have migrated your package objects and installed PCM then it is just a matter analyzing your packages in order to determine which readiness state each are in, and then converting those packages that are in the appropriate readiness state. . This release comes in 4 languages.
Physical to Virtual (P2V) Migration Toolkit
The System Center 2012 Configuration Manager P2V Migration Toolkit facilitates the re-utilization of existing x64 server hardware using virtualization technologies, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Hyper-V. The P2V Migration Toolkit was specifically designed to assist in situations where there are remote Configuration Manager 2007 SP 2 site servers that need to be retained during side-by-side migration process to System Center 2012 Configuration Manager. The P2V Migration Toolkit is geared to supporting P2V migrations at remote, branch offices that do not have existing onsite Virtual Machine Manager infrastructure.
System Center 2012 Configuration Manager ToolkitThe Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Toolkit contains nine downloadable tools to help you manage and troubleshoot Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager. The following list provides specific information about each tool in the toolkit.
- Client Spy – A tool that helps you troubleshoot issues related to software distribution, inventory, and software metering on System Center 2012 Configuration Manager clients.
- Policy Spy – A policy viewer that helps you review and troubleshoot the policy system on System Center 2012 Configuration Manager clients.
- Security Configuration Wizard Template for Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager – The Security Configuration Wizard (SCW) is an attack-surface reduction tool for the Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 operating system. Security Configuration Wizard determines the minimum functionality required for a server’s role or roles, and disables functionality that is not required.
- Send Schedule Tool – A tool used to trigger a schedule on a client or trigger the evaluation of a specified DCM Baseline. You can trigger a schedule either locally or remotely.
- Power Viewer Tool – A tool to view the status of power management feature on System Center 2012 Configuration Manager clients.
- Deployment Monitoring Tool – The Deployment Monitoring Tool is a graphical user interface designed help troubleshoot Applications, Updates, and Baseline deployments on System Center 2012 Configuration Manager clients.
- Run Metering Summarization Tool – The purpose of this tool is to run the metering summarization task to analyze raw metering data
- Role-based Administration Modeling and Auditing Tool – This tool helps administrators to model and audit RBA configurations.
- License Tracking PowerShell Cmdlets – The PowerShell cmdlet “Get-ConfigMgrAccessLicense” is used to get license usage information for all the servers and clients within scope of System Center 2012 Configuration Manager. The cmdlet returns a list of licensable features and a list of unique users and devices per unique licensable feature.
Download here the Component Add-ons and Extensions of System Center 2012 – Configuration Manager
April 6, 2012
Microsoft Technet Library for System Center 2012
App Controller provides a unified console that helps you manage public clouds and private clouds, as well as cloud-based virtual machines and services.
Configuration Manager provides a comprehensive solution for change and configuration management for the Microsoft platform. It allows you to deploy operating systems, software applications, and software updates; and to monitor and remediate computers for compliance settings. With Configuration Manager, you can also monitor hardware and software inventory, and remotely administer computers.
|Data Protection Manager
Data Protection Manager (DPM) is a backup and recovery solution for Microsoft workloads. DPM provides out-of-the-box protection for Files and Folders, Exchange Server, SQL Server, Virtual Machine Manager, SharePoint, Hyper-V, and client computers. For large-scale deployments, DPM also allows you to monitor your backups through a central console or remotely.
Endpoint Protection provides an antimalware and security solution for the Microsoft platform.
Operations Manager provides infrastructure monitoring that is flexible and cost-effective, helps ensure the predictable performance and availability of vital applications, and offers comprehensive monitoring for your datacenter and cloud, both private and public.
Orchestrator provides orchestration, integration, and automation of IT processes through the creation of runbooks, enabling you to define and standardize best practices and improve operational efficiency.
Service Manager provides an integrated platform for automating and adapting your organization’s IT service management best practices, such as those found in Microsoft Operations Framework (MOF) and Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL). It provides built-in processes for incident and problem resolution, change control, and asset lifecycle management.
|Virtual Machine Manager
Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) is a management solution for the virtualized datacenter, enabling you to configure and manage your virtualization host, networking, and storage resources in order to create and deploy virtual machines and services to private clouds that you have created.
The Unified Installer is a tool that enables a single user-interface experience for the installation of seven System Center 2012 components. The Unified Installer provides a means of distributed installation from a central point using the existing Setup program of each component.
System Center Packs
Previous System Center Products